Saturday, July 5, 2008

Week #4, Thing #8 RSS Feeds

I think I FIHALLY understand RSS! Such a simple concept but extremely powerful in its usefulness. Although I could spend way too much time reading all the feeds I might be interested in, I've begun to identify those that I find must useful professionally and those that I want to read out of personal interest. Prior to including particular feeds on my Google startpage I would depend upon bookmarking pages I wanted to return to on a regular basis. However, what really would happen is bookmarks would proliferate and I would rarely return to any of them.

Now, with RSS feeds directed to my Google page, I'm regularly updated on the news and events I wish to see without ever having to go to another web page. Plus, I get a summary if the news item, choosing to read further or delete. I find I'm much more informed now that I am using RSS. I suppose the downside is information overload!!!

No comments: